[plug] Linux distro's

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 3 11:23:18 WST 1999

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 11:06:39AM +0800, Bevan Broun wrote:
> Is turbo linux the one where everything's been compiled optimised for a
> pentium and is suppose to run %30 faster?

No, you're probably thinking of Stampede: http://www.stampede.org/ .
The actual system performance increase would be a lot less than that in
practice, and it's not as if you can't simply compile the program that
you want to go faster, yourself. (or even just run the binary from the
other distribution - "alien" can often help if it's not straightforward)

TurboLinux might be the best for Japanese support, perhaps SuSE for German
or other European support. They'd also distinguish themselves in terms
of have differences in their default desktop look, install procedure,
dead-tree manuals, etc.

http://www.linux.org/dist/index.html has links to most distributions.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal