[plug] Questions about a dialup server

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Thu Feb 4 13:31:04 WST 1999

Hi ya all,

The machine that I have been building for a dial-in proxy is coming along
fine thanks to all the advice from people on this mailing list.  I just have
a couple of other questions that someone might be able to help me with.

1. When I start my machine with squid (installed from the default RedHat
packages) I often come up with an error on the machine that says something
along the lines of IPCACHE something or other. DNS lookup failed. As the
machine is not always permanently connected to the web I can understand why
this happened. (The box does act as a local DNS and this works perfectly
fine). The same message appears in the squid.log file. On looking through
the squid.conf file I found a reference to a DNS test that occurs on
start-up that can be disabled using a -D parameter. I tried this in various
formats in the squid.conf file (i.e. start, end of line etc) but after 10
minutes or so the same message comes up. (It doesn't happen if I have
connected to the Internet within 10 minutes of boot-up). So I am suspecting
that this is a start-up parameter that the notes in squid.conf is talking
about. Am I correct ? and if so where does squid start on a default RedHat
5.2 install ? (I have it starting automatically using the services option in
RedHat's set-up program)
2. I want to be able to get the machine to dial into my ISP on demand. I
heard that diald can do this but there is some problems with it on 2.0
kernels (or at least someone told me they had that problem). Does anyone
know of another utility that can be used to do this ? I don't mind if the
user has to get the machine (server) to dial by going to a web page and
clicking on a button that says dial internet or something like that. (In
fact this is probably preferable since the users come from a windows dial up
networking background). What is the best way to start PPP from the command
line if I was to create a cgi script to do it if I decide to make my own
page ?
3. I have also set-up samba (2.0) on my machine with domain logons, and
everything seems to be working in that I can logon see the server have my
profiles copied about etc, however my login script doesn't wish to execute.
After I have logged on I can see the netlogon share in Network Neighbourhood
and can run the batch file automatically so I know it is not a permissions
issue. Any help would be much appreciated as I have tried everything that I
can find out about it in the doco. Attached is a copy of my smb.conf file if
that is of any help

Michael Hunt