[plug] The cost for a free OS

Christian christian at daisy.global.net.au
Sun Feb 7 12:57:46 WST 1999

Sorry to reply so late - I've been away on Singapore.

I think it's important to point out here that while the Linux kernel
(and many associated utilites) are "Free software", this doesn't mean
that they cost nothing.  The old "free speech not free beer" rule
applies.  The word "free" in the context of "Free software" pertains to
freedom - freedom to view the source, modify, copy, redistribute,
re-sell and understand the software that you are using.  The GPL doesn't
not restrict re-selling of Free software at any price and the FSF
actually encourages this.  Of course, while this may mean you'll come
across some very expensive Free software, it also means that the same
software is available essentially for free.

> 2. I just received a phone call from Boffins about the book "Artists guide
> to the GIMP". I was told that the book would take 6-8 weeks to arrive and
> would cost me $99.95. Again this book can be supplied to me from cetus
> technology for approx. $70 (including postage and handling. Alternatively I
> could buy the book from Computer literacy in the states for $39.95 and $9.95
> postage and handling. The book should get here in about 1-4 days and would
> be sent by UPS International.

This is interesting since Richard Stallman has criticised the "Open
Source" movement for not supporting Free documentation which he believes
is virtually as important as Free software.  Most people tend to agree
with the O'Reilly & Assoc. position here and support non-free
documentation but I think it's important to appreciate that due to the
availability (and high-quality) of non-free documentation, very little
effort will be made by most of the Free software community to write and
maintain high-quality Free documentation.  A very good case in point is
the documentation for Perl... but that's another rant entirely. :)

> P.S. The other question I'd like to ask is how much of this money actually
> makes it back to the developers, writers etc that we are willing to part
> with our hard earned cash for the work that they have produced ?

I don't think virtually any money directly goes back to the original
developers of most of the software - the exception being the employees
of Red Hat etc. and those who are being financially supported on various
projects (eg, GNOME).  Of course, some (few) benefit indirectly from
gaining notoriety and being hired to well-paying jobs (Linus Torvalds
being probably the most obvious example).

Regards,

Christian.

I'm not trying to give users what they want, I'm trying to give them
freedom, which they can then accept or reject. If people don't want
freedom, they may be out of luck with me, but I won't allow them to
define for me what is right, what is worth spending my life for.
                                                    - Richard Stallman