[plug] LINUX IS ONLY FOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS

Christian christian at daisy.global.net.au
Sun Feb 7 14:40:11 WST 1999

Rick wrote:

> LINUX IS ONLY FOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS, AND PEOPLE OF THAT ILK.

Not true but never mind.

I question why this is of interest to PLUG?  (Rick, that stands for
"Perth Linux Users Group" - ie, people who use Linux in Perth).  Why
people who use Linux would want to hear from some sad, frustrated
individual who has tried and failed (and who has decided the problem is
not him, it's everyone else) and wants to tell everyone else that the
operating system that they know, love and use is really bad?

Sure, there may be people on this list who are contemplating giving
Linux a go and who may have difficulty when they do this.  But I would
suggest that most of these people would be aware that Linux is different
from what they have experienced previously and will most likely seem
difficult at first.  And even those who don't know this will probably be
able to appreciate this if they read the introduction "The Ways of the
World" in the APC Magazine Pocketbook.

To any such people out there: Don't listen to Rick.  Linux is difficult
at first - it is a challenge.  But if you value qualities such as power,
speed, stability, flexibility and freedom, then Linux will prove to be
what you are looking for.  If you don't value these things then why are
you even on this list and reading this email?

I'm not trying to give users what they want, I'm trying to give them
freedom, which they can then accept or reject. If people don't want
freedom, they may be out of luck with me, but I won't allow them to
define for me what is right, what is worth spending my life for.
                                                    - Richard Stallman