[plug] Questions about a dialup server

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Mon Feb 8 11:34:07 WST 1999

Works like a charm now (well doesn't spit out the error messages and die on
me like it used to). However I seem to have got a lot of errors trying to
retrieve pages etc especially for dynamic sites lie netaddress (free mail
like hotmail). I think that was related to my entry in the squid,conf file
about inside firewall. Once I had uncommented it and changed the entry for
my domain It seemed to work a lot better, There where some problems with
sites that I had already visited so I am going to clear my cache and see
what happens. Any suggestions for running squid behind a firewall,
especially considering that the pages can only be downloaded from a parent
proxy and not directly from the source ?

> >2. I want to be able to get the machine to dial into my ISP on demand. I
> >heard that diald can do this but there is some problems with it on 2.0
> >kernels (or at least someone told me they had that problem). Does anyone
> >know of another utility that can be used to do this ? I don't mind if the
>
> Seems to work fine on several of the RH 2.0.3x kernels I have used.

Which version of diald did you use. I downloaded one (gcc or libc I cant
remember) and it came up with all sorts of compile errors.

> snip ...

On another note how does one set-up IP-Masquerading. I followed the
instructions in the mini howto, compiled my Kernel add the appropriates
lines to the rc files and it doesn't work. I also noticed the IP forwarding
comes up as being off on bootup. Is this supposed to be right (doesn't make
sense to me). If not how am I supposed to turn it on/get IP Masquerading
working. Anyone's experience with setting this up on a RedHat 5.2 box from
scratch would be helpful (step by step would be great).

Thanks in advance.
Michael Hunt