[plug] Buying a 56K modem

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 9 12:25:30 WST 1999

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 11:32:33AM +0800, Michael Hunt wrote:
> Hi ya all,
>
> I'm planning on buying a new 56K modem and just wondering if anyone had any
> advice on one suitable for Linux. I'd prefer an external modem but if anyone
[...]

With the exception of Winmodems (and Geoports, I expect), most modems,
internal or external, are simple serial devices that care not a jot for
what type of machine is connected to them.

Unfortunately, they often care about which other modems they deign to
talk to properly. One solution is to buy an expensive modem which may
not have so many cut corners, the other is to buy a cheap modem that
happens to work well with the modems you speak to - until you change
your ISP or they upgrade their dialin servers.

External modems are worth it for their flexibility (easily movable
between systems), their feedback (flashing lights) and the fact that
when things go wrong, you can simply power cycle them.

Generally, ignore any modem with "Web" or "Wave" in the title and
if you don't want to splash out on a USR/3Com Courier or high end
Maestro/Netcomm/etc, just find something that works for you. Even
expensive modems won't talk to everything.

I've had some good experience with cheap X-Links before. Get a brand
that you've actually heard of before last week. ::-)

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal