[plug] Trouble with LILO....

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Wed Feb 10 11:47:05 WST 1999

Date sent:      	Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:21:42 +0800 (WST)
From:           	Mike Holland <myk at golden.wattle.id.au>
To:             	plug at linux.org.au
Subject:        	Re: [plug] Trouble with LILO....
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, David Campbell wrote:
>
> > What Linux and BIOS think the HDD is configured is two different
> > things. The problem is that:
> > 	a) Old BIOSes do not understand LBA (Linux does)
> > 	b) LILO requires BIOS calls to load the info
>
> David, so if i put an LBA disk into an old PC, can I get LILO to boot
> off the hdd? (assuming the kernel etc are below 1024 cyl's in normal mode)

Yes, make sure that in the /etc/lilo.conf you specify the geometry
that BIOS believes the HDD to be. If you need an example of this, let
me know and I will dig out the important bits. It works but it is a
little fiddly when Linux is already on the HDD (need to boot from a
floppy to kick start things until the geometry is correct, after that
Linux is fine).

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.
(also check http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/)
Current project list:
a) Catch up on the ZIP Plus backlog (drive back from waranty)
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)
c) sleep
d) real life