[plug] installing internal modem?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Feb 11 10:27:15 WST 1999

Regarding the Aptiva modem...

I know of one which uses a DSP chip and which seems to rely on downloadable
soft/firm-ware.  This may have implicatiuons with respect to the BIOS as
Rob has pointed out.  A good starting point would be the IBM site which,
last time I looked, had quite a range of software from which to choose.  (I
can probably dig up the URL if you're interested.)  From memory, the
complete re-install / update consisted of 5 steps, each of which relied on
the others.  The final result was a virtual rebuild of the modem drivers
along with their fax, dialer and telephone answering machine suite.  Some
of that might be able to be skipped.

The 56K Flex item is not one with which I'm familiar in regards Aptivas.
Perhaps a check on the IBM Aptiva page might yield more info.  What Aptiva
model number?  It'll probably be a 2144 or 2168 with 3 characters
following, like A20, Y60 and so on.  Those last 3 characters give the major
clue when checking the IBM site.

Cheers,
Denis