[plug] LILO Problems

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Fri Feb 12 09:44:15 WST 1999

The two obvious reasons that I can think of (and have been of benefit to me
when I have done multi partitioning) are :

1. User home directories, spool files, logs etc (basically areas which are
changing frequently) don't have to bring down the system when they fill up
like they tend to do when you have a one and all partition. You can also
specify just how much disk goes to a given use. i.e. by making a 2 gig
partition for your users home directory, you know that they can only use
that much space and when it fills up they are not going to crash your
machine because they filled up the root partition.
2. It makes upgrade/reinstalls easy because you only need to blow away your
os partition, if set-up correctly most of your other system files will be
any other partition that do not need to be modified.