[plug] SuSE

Rob Hall rob at hcm.iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 12 11:10:16 WST 1999

Ordered it from www.lsl.com.au

Cost 4.95 + p&h

It is only a demo copy of SuSE 5.3 - the full copy comes with more CD's than
you can poke a stick at and a pretty good manual.

I installed it fine first go without any manual or nothin'.

I had a look through that APC thing, and it didn't look that crash hot to
me.  Don't get me wrong, it's great exposure to linux!  But it really would
have been better if they used SuSE - it's a bit more user friendly and
polished nicer.  I hear that a lot of people simply gave up on the APC thing
which is a bit sad.

I am starting to think that much of Red Hat's support comes from the fact
that they are the first name that tends to fall on someones lips.  RH is not
IMO superior to SuSE (propably not inferior either).   Let's face it.  When
you install red hat and startx you are confronted with a very unpleasent
icon set and screen.  You find an application that you like, then switch to
another window manager and can't find the programs you so liked on the
previous window manager.  The Red Hat people are not artists by any stretch
of the imagination.  This does come as a dissapointment to someone who is
coming from the Windows world - first impressions make a huge difference.

I origionally tried RH because that's what most people on the various list
serve's had.  I was origionally told to get SuSE but thought I would
probable get more help if I had what the majority had.  If I had of gone
with Suse in the start,  I would have needed less help.

My 2c.

Regards,

Rob Hall

Heights Computer Management