[plug] Re: Members' ages (what about profiles ?)

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Feb 12 13:01:04 WST 1999

At 11:42 12/02/99 +0800, Michael wrote:
>23 here. It would also be interesting to know a bit about the demographics
>of the plug. i.e.

<snip>
Perhaps the on-line or paper registartion form would incorporate those
questions.  I also find it interesting to know a bit about my fellow
members.  Maybe include a place for "chips, technologies and os's"
encountered.  E.g. I started out with intel 4004's (hey, I'm 48 remember!)
and have bumped into Fabritek MP-12's (DEC PDP8 lookalike, ruggedised, 12
instruction roots including NOP!), Computer Automation LSI-2's, etc along
the way to pentia.  Okay in one respect it doen't matter for Linux purposes
on X86 hardware (X>=3) but could give a clue as to the "resources" of the
membership pool?  E.g. boot loaders weren't rare in the early days, they
were all we had! :-)  Loaded an OS off paper tape, anyone?  Sorry, this is
getting off topic.

Cheers,
Denis