[plug] Fwd: Cygnus Solutions

Christian again at global.net.au
Mon Feb 15 11:33:37 WST 1999

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Matt Kemner wrote:

> > ---Kevin Senator <Ksenator at cygnus.com> wrote:
>
> > > GNUPro ToolKit for Linux is a complete software development
> > environment
> > > for Linux developers. Based on the powerful GNU Standard, GNUPro from
> > > Cygnus delivers professional quality tools for commercial Linux
>
> --SNIP--

> > GNUPro,
>
> WTF?
>
> They're calling their product GNUxxx yet they charge money for it?
> More importantly, if I read their website right, you don't get the source
> code.

There's nothing wrong with charging money for GNU software - in fact, the
Free Software Foundation encourages this.  Of course, you are completely
right in that calling something 'GNU' when it's not at all Free software
(ie, no source code) is probably something bordering on the illegal...

> What does RMS think of that one?
> :)

Probably the same thing he thinks of that Scriptics guy with the
unspellable surname (Ousterhout?) and Eric Allman...