[plug] Fwd: Cygnus Solutions

Christian again at global.net.au
Mon Feb 15 12:05:10 WST 1999

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Christian wrote:
>
> > There's nothing wrong with charging money for GNU software - in fact, the
>
> I know that

I figured you did... wasn't sure about everyone else. :)

> > Free Software Foundation encourages this.  Of course, you are completely
> > right in that calling something 'GNU' when it's not at all Free software
> > (ie, no source code) is probably something bordering on the illegal...
>
> That's what my point is.. They're using someone else's trademark
> (registered or not) to help market their product, and in this case, the
> word GNU means a lot of things to many people, and most of these things
> exclude non-open software.
>
> > Probably the same thing he thinks of that Scriptics guy with the
> > unspellable surname (Ousterhout?) and Eric Allman...
>
> What's the story there?

The guy who wrote tcl (John Ousterhout?) started a company called
scriptics based upon that (hybrid business model and all that fluff) and
rms described him as a parasite at the Open Source Developers Day
conference thingy that O'Reilly held a little while back.  He's also not
too keen on Eric Allman (sendmail creator) who is now releasing a non-free
Sendmail Pro and sendmail for NT.  Oh well... qmail's supposedly better
anyway. :)

Regards,

Christian.