[plug] Fwd: Cygnus Solutions

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Mon Feb 15 12:25:15 WST 1999

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, David Campbell wrote:

> Does <B>ANYBODY</B> know about Cygnus involvements in GNU projects?!?

I am aware of Cygnus' involvement in GNU projects, and esp gcc.
I was just curious if they had asked permission to use the term GNU on
their projects.
I must have misread their website & email because I didn't see anywhere,
that the source code for GNUpro, that, and the fact that I wasn't sure
whether not they had asked FSF to use the term GNU, prompted me to ask.

> >From what I read of the GNUpro toolkit, it is basically the GNU
> compilation tools sold as a distribution WITH SUPPORT. Basically this
> is to compilers what RedHat is to Linux. Free software with support
> (a small price tag follows).
> The source code is freely available

That's not the way I read the message/website.  Either I misread, or they
perhaps need to clarify a little.

 - Matt