[plug] Packet Radio

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Thu Feb 18 15:32:14 WST 1999

> Is anyone on the list actively involved in packet radio using amatuer
> frequencies?

Yes, at least one of our more experienced members is a VK6***

> If so, I'd like a run down on what sort of expertise, equipment, and
> costs are involved in such a setup, and what sort of data transfer
> rates are feasible. And since i'm asking for all this info, some links
> to Australian sites would be nice too :)

Are you after serious data rates, or just free data rates? There's a
bloke near Armadale who makes 256Kbps spread-spectrum (ie no licence)
links that will cover about 35km LineOofSight for I think about $2K per
end plus towers etc. There's a US company at http://www.overlan.com who
make 2 or 10Mbps that will do 16km LOS for about $1K at user end, dunno
at hub end (maybe $4K??).

--
Windows, n: A tax on computer illiteracy administered by Microsoft