[plug] Bits and pieces.

Christian again at global.net.au
Mon Feb 22 10:49:25 WST 1999

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Oliver White wrote:
> 1) When startx fails because I've
> specified a window mangager that doesn't
> exist, all my consoles become "fuzzy",
> with some characters appearing as blurs
> and the screen is all 'dotty'. Is there
> any cure for this other than a reboot?

Wouldn't the best solution to make sure that you have a window manager
that exists? :)

> 2) My afterstep menus no longer update
> when I add/remove files from my
> ~/GNUstep/Libraries/AfterStep/start
> directory. This has been a problem since
> I started using 1.6.0 and ran one of the
> update utilities in the menu (which
> promptly dissapeared after use). Any
> experianced AS d00dz ? ;)

Upgrade to Window Maker. ;-)

> 3) Annother AS problem, when I set a
> background with xv it only remains so
> long as I use one deskspace (there are
> four). As I've just found the newsgroup
> alt.binaries.pictures.fractals this is
> just Not Good Enough (tm).

Doesn't Afterstep have a way to set this itself rather than using xv?  I
know Window Maker does so I thought AS would be similar.  Alternately you
can stick something like xpmroot in your ~/.xinitrc file - assuming the
file you're using is an xpm. (nasty)

Regards,

Christian