[plug] Does anyone know of a utility to break up large files into smaller chunks?

Tom Atkinson tom at tyco.net.au
Tue Feb 23 20:40:11 WST 1999

The most obvious utility, I would have thought, and are surprised that
no-one else has suggested it, is:

dd

Use "dd" to split the file up, then "cat" to join up the sections later:

dd if=bigfile bs=1000 count=1 of=part.a
dd if=bigfile bs=1000 count=1 skip=1 of=part.b
dd if=bigfile bs=1000 count=1 skip=2 of=part.c
dd if=bigfile bs=1000 count=1 skip=3 of=part.d

The above splits the file into blocks of 1000 bytes.  Join them back
together thus:

cat part.? >bigfile