[plug] Does anyone know of a utility to break up large files into smaller chunks?

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 24 09:32:53 WST 1999

On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 08:40:11PM +0800, Tom Atkinson wrote:
> The most obvious utility, I would have thought, and are surprised that
> no-one else has suggested it, is:
>
> dd
[...]

Well, I wouldn't call it the most obvious, as compared to "split",
but it's certainly versatile. ::-)

The disadvantage is that you have to type more, and perhaps have to
reread through the first n blocks repeatedly.

The advantage is that it will work on more systems - although GNU/Linux
(with the GNU textutils) doesn't have this problem, many standard
vendor split programs are only really happy with text files - the
normal workaround (and it's required anyway if you want to send the
files through mail or news) is to uuencode, then split.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal