[plug] Radio IP

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Thu Feb 25 16:24:08 WST 1999

I was surprised today to see two wireless radio modems in an office close
to my own.  I wasn't aware our company had them, and I must admit that I
thought radio-based networking was something of a hobby - something like
HAM radio (oops - I have probably insulted 500 serious HAMers who don't
regard HAM as a hobby..).

Anyway we have two different devices that communicate over two or more
kilometres.  One apparently is a 64 kbit machine and the other is 128 kbit.
 To my knowledge we didn't need a special licence, or prior knowledge of
morse code.  We run a normal LAN/intranet and telephone links over them.

For those interested in radio networking - have a look at the following;

Overview of available devices & prices
http://www.data.com/Global_Networks/Wireless_Telecom_Savings.html

Airlink
http://www.nortech.com/cylink/cytop.htm

Overlan IP bridge/Router
http://www.ingenious-nets.com/rf2.html

Cheers
Colin Rothnie
(Brain fried by microwave-radio transmissions).