[plug] I have deleted /dev/lp1.. how do I replace it?

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Fri Feb 26 06:49:43 WST 1999

Date sent:      	Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:47:19 +0800
From:           	Doug Clulow <clulow at upnaway.com>
To:             	"plug at linux.org.au" <plug at linux.org.au>
Subject:        	[plug] I have deleted  /dev/lp1.. how do I replace it?
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> Hi
>
> I inadvertently deleted /dev/lp1 while not really remembering how to
> print from the command line (and not looking it up).  Now I can't print
> anything.  I am tempted to use 'touch' and put one of the same name in
> the right place, but since the operations of these files is a bit
> mysterious to me perhaps someone who knows can tell me the real
> solution.

Device files are "special" files that are created using the 'mknod'
command. Do an 'ls -l /dev/lp*' to get the major and minor numbers
for lp devices and then (from memory):

mknod c <major> <minor> /dev/lp1

The minor should be 1 for /dev/lp1.

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.
(also check http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/)
Current project list:
a) Catch up on the ZIP Plus backlog (drive back from waranty)
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)
c) sleep
d) real life