[plug] I have deleted /dev/lp1.. how do I replace it?

Tamara Thompson THOMPSON at gate.sunquest.com
Fri Feb 26 07:17:51 WST 1999

Hi,  I've been reading about device files because they seem a little confusing, but my guru friend in Groningen says do this:

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV lp1

Running Linux (Welsh and Kaufman) says:

Device files allow user programs to access hardware devices on the system through the kernel.  They are not 'files' per se, but look like files from the program's point of view--you can read from them, write to the, mmap() onto them and so forth.  When you access such a device driver, the kernel recognizes the I/O request and passes it a device driver, which performs some operation, such as reading data froma serial port, or sending data to a sound card.

Anyway, I will find out what MAKEDEV actually does.

Tamara

>>> Doug Clulow <clulow at upnaway.com> 02/24 6:47 AM >>>
Hi

I inadvertently deleted /dev/lp1 while not really remembering how to
print from the command line (and not looking it up).  Now I can't print
anything.  I am tempted to use 'touch' and put one of the same name in
the right place, but since the operations of these files is a bit
mysterious to me perhaps someone who knows can tell me the real
solution.

Doug