[plug] rdev and LILO

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Tue Jan 5 09:00:43 WST 1999

Hi Tamara

> I'm using LILO and was wondering about rdev.  I notice that rdev has a
> different drive specified than what I put in lilo.conf.  So the two
> things are not connected. ?  Anyone ever use rdev to specify the boot
> partition?

rdev is only used when you make a bootable floppy, by copying the kernel
straight to the floppy (the kernel has a built-in bootloader, but only
works when it's on a floppy) - that's where rdev comes in - it modifies
the paramaters for the built-in bootloader.. When you use lilo, loadlin or
syslinux as your bootloader, you don't need to use rdev - at least not to
set the root device or vga mode.