[plug] Process memory usage

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jan 8 09:16:11 WST 1999

On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 06:40:57PM +0800, Christian wrote:
> Doesn't actually take up RAM or swap space?  Are you sure that's right?

Well, according to the Dejanews post I attached below...

> I've a feeling that the java interpreter is taking up that space because
> at one point yesterday it swapped in and that machine thrashed it's guts
> out and the load went up to 20. :(

Unless the RSS at that time was 20MB, that's probably not the whole
cause. If it's really mmap()'ed files, then they'd only get read in if
they were scanned through. I had originally thought it was lots of
pre-allocated memory, which you can set with "java -ms", but that only
allocates a megabyte by default, it seems.

On the other hand, it may not be 20 "real" megabytes for HelloWorld Java
programs, but it's still a fair bit - 3 or 4?

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal