[plug] Re: Computer Bank - please dont give them away.

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 11 07:16:10 WST 1999

David Buddrige wrote in part...
>Can't see a "helpdesk" happening - it seems to me to be too hard to
>organise... (other than feeding into existing user-groups...)

Would the idea of a "CBLUG" be of any assistance?  The likelihood is that
the target audience could fall into two main factions -- those who
genuinely want to own a computer and get somewhere with it and those who
are less motivated -- "It's free so we'll take it but we might not use it."
 (Sorry to sound a bit negative, just my intuition talking.)

The motivated ones will want to ask "How do I join PLUG for starters?  What
sort of courses do TAFE have to offer?" and so on, while the less motivated
might be grateful of a cblug-type list as an alternative to a helpdesk or
more "official" list.  They might be a bit timid to ask "dumb questions" of
the latter two and hence go even further down the gurgler.

(In part I suppose the distribution "body" would take care of sorting out
the players from the stayers so maybe the above is irrelevant?)

My $0.01 worth!
Cheers,
Denis