[plug] Windows

Kim Covil kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
Tue Jan 12 11:19:04 WST 1999

> One quick question.  I tried xdm.  Everything went fine until I tried to
> shut down the window manager.  Every time I went to shut down it just kept
> coming back asking for my password.  I gave up in the end and just shut down
> the PC and went to bed.   Can someone tell me how to shut it down?  Also,
> what is the difference between xdm and startx?  (Please excuse my ignorance)

If you have made the move to KDE why not try kdm, the KDE replacement
for xdm... All of this is easier to do as root from a virtual terminal
and I am assuming xdm is already running... so Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a
non-X terminal...

	1. Find where xdm lives and mv it to xdm.orig (/usr/bin/X11 I think)
		(mv xdm xdm.orig)
	2. Where xdm was put a symlink to /opt/kde/bin/kdm
		(ln -s /opt/kde/bin/kdm xdm)
	3. Kick start xdm by finding the currently running daemon
		(ps aux | grep xdm)
		Sending it a TERM signal
		(kill -TERM <ps number from previous>)
	4. xdm should grab back your screen and you should be presented with
		the kdm login which is slightly more advanced and has the nice
		feature of a Shutdown button...

Hopefully that will all work... if anyone can see anything obviously
wrong please correct me...