[plug] Starting in Linux

Niall Young niall at gospel.iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 18 18:34:55 WST 1999

> > Murdoch will also be running its data communications course on Linux this
> > year.
>
> Computer Science at UWA will continue to use Linux this year - for the
> fourth year for 2nd and 3rd year studies, and for the 5th for Honours and
> PhD studies.  But we were slow off the mark.

Curtin doesn't use Linux, but it'll be extremely helpful for your studies
regardless as they use IRIX, SunOS etc.

Definitly get into Linux though - if I'd known about it in first year I'd
have saved so much time and learnt so much that would have helped me over
the last 4 years of study.

As an aside, UWA didn't let me in because apparently I couldn't speak
English :-)  Failed English Lit (and wasn't aware you could also do English
at the same time) so I had to sit an English competency exam at UWA.  UWA
didn't actually recognize the results of their own exam, but Curtin let me
in *shrug*  Curtin's damn good and I don't regret it.

Niall.