[plug] Linux printing: HJ400 and Epson 740...

David J Dartnall darts at perth.dialix.oz.au
Tue Jan 19 20:15:04 WST 1999

It's over a week since I received replies from Christian, Gary and Bevan
in relation to my request for help. Thanks for taking the trouble to
respond - I'm not on line full time as you seem to be and although the
long to say thanks.

The angelfire url you referred me to Bevan, said 'There are no
ghostscript drivers for the HJ400...' and it's suggestion that any Epson
driver that supports 360x180 resolution would do did not seem to work
for me. - Thanks anyway, it was worth a try.

You've hit the nail on the head, Gary - that's exactly why I want my
printer up and running  - so that I can read the Linux documentation and
understand what's to be done to set the system up the way I want it. Not
easy on the screen. And the Samba docs take some work!

I gather someone has given Leon an excuse to blow a printer up! -
Perhaps when you get around to it, Leon I could bring mine over and give
you a hand...

I note a certain amount of angst recently when some poor soul sought
advice on which distribution to buy. I started off with Slackware 3.0 -
took about three weeks to get X window running because I've an obsolete
Tatung monitor without docs..: graduated to Red Hat 5.1 and now have
SuSE 5.3 running. This was the easiest of the three to set up and X was
the quickest too. the X desktop environment is great with it's X window
manager and acceptance of the Redhat RPM package format under it's K
package manager. Well worth a try.

When's the next meeting and where? What time?

regards 	Dave Dartnall.

Message re-sent - it was bounced on Sunday, I found today!

I still need to know about the suitability of an Epson 740 with Linux.
Perhaps someone could advise another linux discussion group which may be
able to help?