[plug] The cost for a free OS

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Wed Jan 27 12:40:03 WST 1999

I find these two little anecdotal comparisons quite interesting. See what
you think.

1. Recently when in Adelaide I was browsing through a Dymocks bookshop and
came across an official RED Hat 5.2 boxed set. Interested in see what there
price was (and since knowing the rough wholesale cost is, the probable
mark-up), was horrified to find that it was going to cost $118 !!!!!  Since
the boxed set can be brought from cetus technology in Sydney for approx.
$60, this represents a near %100 mark-up !!! And if you don't want the
install manual and support from RedHat you can walk into the newsagent and
buy the APC pocket book for $15 or get a CD burnt by a guy in Melbourne for
you for about $5 or $6.

2. I just received a phone call from Boffins about the book "Artists guide
to the GIMP". I was told that the book would take 6-8 weeks to arrive and
would cost me $99.95. Again this book can be supplied to me from cetus
technology for approx. $70 (including postage and handling. Alternatively I
could buy the book from Computer literacy in the states for $39.95 and $9.95
postage and handling. The book should get here in about 1-4 days and would
be sent by UPS International.

Is anyone interested in opening a bookstore.

Michael Hunt

P.S. The other question I'd like to ask is how much of this money actually
makes it back to the developers, writers etc that we are willing to part
with our hard earned cash for the work that they have produced ?