[plug] scanners

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu Jan 28 13:19:52 WST 1999

Re David's  http://www.torque.net/~campbell/scanner.html

> Rule of Thumb: If the manufacturer makes a SCSI scanner of a similar
> spec to the parallel port scanner, the parallel port scanner is
> probably internally a SCSI.

Are the Umax 610P and 610S of "similar spec" ?
Or the Acerscan 600P and 600S ?
They seem to do SCSI and parallel models. But if parallel is just a
SCSI internally, why are they so much cheaper?  Sales volume?

Or are they totally different machines?

More practically, is the a cheap scanner that will work under linux?
I would use it for sending faxes, and the occasional photo scan.
Any of them look good after using a hand-held scanner.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
For perfect happiness, remember two things:
        (1) Be content with what you've got.
        (2) Be sure you've got plenty.