[plug] sendmail

Rob Hall rob at hcm.iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 31 14:21:52 WST 1999

Thanks to all who responed to my sendmail problem.  In the end is was actualy
quite easy to resolve.

As some will recall, I have a subdomain with my ISP called hcm.iinet.net.au.
When sendmail tried to connect with another MTA I got an error saying that I
had DNS problems.  This meant that all outbound mail failed.

To fix the problem, I changed the domain of my internal network to octopus and
my server name to hcm.  The reason I chose octopus for my internal network
instead of a FQDN is that I run an intranet and a DNS and don't want anything
getting confused with the outside world.

I then set up sendmail with my "official" domain name - ie it overides what my
computer really is - Dj$w.iinet.net.au

This forces sendmail to use hcm.iinet.net.au when it talks to other MTAs.

This probably isn't the standard way of doing things, but it works great for
me.  Very easy and everything runs smoothly.

Hope it helps anyone else having similar problems.

Rob Hal