[plug] LINUX IS ONLY FOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS

Rick rick at vianet.net.au
Sun Jan 31 15:25:13 WST 1999

LINUX IS ONLY FOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS, AND PEOPLE OF THAT ILK.

You have been warned. Please read on.

Hi, this is not a gripe about Linux, I'm sure it's a very fine operating
system. This is just my opinions, and experiences with the system.

I'd installed the Linux system from the APC magazine's 'Linux pocket book'
and the CD that came with it.

Having first read the RedHat documentation, as found on the CD and a manual
on the S.u.S.E. system as found on the web.

http://basiclinux.hypermart.net/suse/index.html

I didn't have any real problems with partitioning the hard drive and
getting the basic system up and running.

One unusual problem is worth noting. On my computer, an Intel Pentium
75mhz, the bios settings were a little aggressive. That caused my system to
lock up, while trying to install the Linux system. Thankfully, someone
replied to a post and advised me where to look.

Anyway, as noted, once I had the hardware problem solved, everything
installed just fine.

After a little fussing about, I managed to get things configured for the
internet and got nescape up and running. I managed to send and receive
mail, read the news groups and browse the web.

Unfortunately, I never did work out how to get connected when not logged in
as root. In fact, I never got the CD to play music in X, unless I was
logged in as root.

Then, I tried to install some of the software that comes with the APC's CD.
Following the instructions in the manual, which were very sketchy, I tried
to set up a thing called X-ISP. This, the book said, was an easier
alternative for getting connected to the web.

Well, it's not the truth. Getting X-ISP installed, is a major feat on it's
own. First, they imagine that you have read all of the book, and can recall
every detail. Or, they assume that you can find the finer details, without
an index?

Well, it was ok getting Xforms of the CD, decompressing it and getting it
installed. Then it was time for X-ISP. That was a whole new story. I now
had to use some antiquated programmers editor called VI. (not for 'very
intelligent', I can assure you) This may well be the best programmers
editor ever to grace the planet, but, it's not an easy thing to master, for
someone who is used to more simple text editors. My favourite is a thing
called 'SuperNote Tab Lite'

It was at this stage that I decided that I must be crazy. Why was I putting
myself through all of this pain? What was I going to achieve with it? Was I
going to be any better of? I mean, really better of? Do I really want to
master VI?

Perhaps there are a number of better editors available? I don't know. That
was the one that APC chose to put with their distribution, so, I would
assume it might be the easiest to use?

Anyway, at this stage I decided that Linux was not for me. Not at this
stage anyway. Who knows, perhaps it will be a little easier later?

So, what is the moral of the story, according to Heinrich?

If you understand networking, and/or Unix, then go for it, install Linux
and enjoy. (??). If you can get really good support, then still think about
it carefully. Otherwise, until life is made a little easier, stick with DOS
or Windoze. Much more support, and far fewer headaches. After all, Windoze
is made for the untrained.

If you know someone who is unfamiliar with a Linux type system and is going
to install Linux, try and talk them out of it. That way, they will still be
interested enough to give it a try, when it's available for the masses. If
ever that happens.

LINUX IS ONLY FOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS, AND PEOPLE OF THAT ILK.

(Please read my post on how to purge Linux from your system.)

Cheers
Rick

E=Mail    - rick at vianet.net.au
Home Page - http://www.vianet.net.au/~rick/index.htm
Packet    - VK6EP at VK6ANC.#PER.#WA.AUS.OC