[plug] LINUX IS ONLY FOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Sun Jan 31 17:27:05 WST 1999

Rick wrote:
> LINUX IS ONLY FOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS, AND PEOPLE OF THAT ILK.

I think we've all been a bit daunted when first learning to use UNIX.
With its flexibility comes complexity.

> Unfortunately, I never did work out how to get connected when not
> logged in as root.

This is a standardish part of UNIX networking, though. On a multi-user
system, you don't necessarily want your users to dial up (let alone have
access to your password you use to connect up with your ISP).

> In fact, I never got the CD to play music in X, unless I was
> logged in as root.

This is odd. Did you try using workman?

> Then, I tried to install some of the software that comes with the
> APC's CD.

I haven't seen this CDROM, so I can't really make judgements on it.

> someone who is used to more simple text editors. My favourite is a
> thing called 'SuperNote Tab Lite'

http://www.pipex.net/ftp/mirrors/pine/unix-bin-compressed/ has a copy of
Pico. Pico is the most wonderful user-friendly little editor around.
It's surprising well featured. Normally, Pico is installed when you
install Pine, but, that directory has it for download separately.

> Do I really want to master VI?

Yeah, I think mastering vi is a useful thing to do, but, I've seen
people try to master it far too early and get discouraged away from
UNIX/Linux altogether.

> Perhaps there are a number of better editors available? I don't know.
> That was the one that APC chose to put with their distribution, so, I
> would assume it might be the easiest to use?

Nope. vi is best called the "lowest common denominator" when it comes to
editors distributed. It's almost a mantra: "thou shalt have at least vi
to edit in a UNIX", which is why everybody's keen to learn it initially.
Because so many people know it, and vi's the standard, it is the minimum
editor included.. vicious circle.

vi's saving grace is that, once you've learned it, it's much more
powerful than other text editors. It just takes a while to get to that
point where it starts becoming useful instead of obtuse.

Debian's lowest common denominator editor is called Ae, which is a lot
more user-friendly. A bit like pico, but, half the screen is comprised
of command help.

> Anyway, at this stage I decided that Linux was not for me. Not at this
> stage anyway. Who knows, perhaps it will be a little easier later?

Personally, I reckon you should give yourself a stake in learning it and
focus on that, perhaps learning PERL scripting to make more interactive
webpages, something like that. Eventually, you'll get used to using the
system and have the occasional look around and play. Well, that's how I
first started anyway ;).

All the best.

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  |  _ |_|_' _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                    PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |