[plug] setting up Linux server

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 1 10:12:19 WST 1999

> > Have you tried MySQL ?  None of the applications that I've written have
>
> It doesn't understand referential integrity (the authors think it
> unimportant) and stores decimals as floating point (the authors don't
> understand that one either).

Yes, I know, and agree with you :-(.  They've done a wonderful job of
extending what was (IIRC) a post-grad thesis into a usable product, and it's
one that I use a great deal, but it certainly does have failings.

> > performance problems (one db has 10.5 million rows in a single table
with
> > good access times), and you can force integrity by locking tables during
>
> You should NOT need to lock the table (unless modifying the table itself):
> the rows being updated MUST be locked.
>
> > updates

The lack of any kind of atomic operation causes endless trouble - and the
authors comment on their web site that '... it would take too much effort to
produce ... commit and rollback' (or words to that effect) is equally
frustrating.

[ good RDBMS comments snipped ]

In spite of my liking for the product, I *do* recognise it's shortcomings,
and really ought to find the time to investigate Sybase for Linux (have you
tried it ???????)

Paul