[plug] Car MP3

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Thu Jul 1 17:59:48 WST 1999

David Bastow wrote:

> Hi,
> I am looking at installing an 'mp3' into my car.  I have an oldish box
> that seems a likely candidate for being `the brains'.  What I need is some
> kinda display, obviously a monitor is too bulky (not to mention the power
> consumption factor) so I am hoping to use some kinda LCD screen or
> similar.  Has anyone dealt with this kinda stuff before and hence might be
> able to point me in the right direction.  I am currently studying elect
> eng at curtin so I have _some_ idea of the theory, but a little practicle
> know-how never goes astray.
>
> Also, how would one go about powering the box from the cars electrical
> system?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
>    David
>
> PS.  Those that wish to question the 'off-topic' nature of this post can
> rest assured that the box will be running nothing but linux inside any
> vehicle of mine :)

Working on a 12v ATX Power supply as we speak.
It does not have soft power off tho, as I don't ever want the machine to power down.
As for the lcd/keypad control. I'm driving one now off linux using an rs485 link
from one of the serial ports.
It's a 40x2 LCD with a 4x3 Telephone keypad.
My car mp3 system looks to be using an Aopen MV95Pro MicroATX Board (Socket 7 with sound
and vga on board), a 12 v psu, quantum fireball hd and floppy.
The great thing about microATX is it is only 10.7 inches by 10.7 inches. Nice and small.
I'm using mpg123 0.59q with the tk3 interface and driving it with some software written
in Free Pascal for Linux at the moment.
It's all very pre-alpha. but it does play mp3's.
The hardware is currently under development.

Oh yeah, running 2.2.10 and debian 2.1

any questions ?