[plug] re; Swap size

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Jul 16 09:25:05 WST 1999

> Is there a rule to follow when setting up Linux swap size (eg; same size as m
> emory, etc).

Not that I've seen. I ran in 96 Mbytes of RAM without swap space for about
a year.

My experience on OS/2 was that twice RAM was the maximum I could use
before performance fell off too much. While that's not a good guide for
Linux - differnet filesystems, different algorithms (probably), different
applications, I think it's probably near the mark, and it's what I use.

Mind you, my systems dpn't swap mich so I don't need more (or even as much
as I've assigned), so I really do not know how much Linux can benefit from.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield