[plug] configuring talk

bk bk at bofh.ns.ca
Fri Jul 16 18:37:40 WST 1999

>   [Couldn't bind to control socket : Cannot assign requested address (99).
>    Press any key...]

Have you tried strace -f -o strace.log talk ...? It could be binding to
0.0.0.0 or to port 0 which is a bad thing. Could you show your /etc/hosts
file? 'hostname' aswell.

> We have a Debian 2.1 Linux 2.2.9 system ...

Have you upgraded any of the packages against the kerenl upgraded? If not,
check: http://www.debian.org/~rcw/2.2/warnings.html

I'd doubt upgrading any of those packages will influence the problem
because I haven't upgraded any of the packages and it works here.

>   update-inetd --enable talk
Didn't know about that. We learn new things daily.

[cut]

Was there output from the talk daemon to /var/log/{daemon.log|messages} ?

-David (bk at bofh.ns.ca)