[plug] Dual Sound cards

bk bk at bofh.ns.ca
Tue Jul 20 21:46:28 WST 1999

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 02:00:10PM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> bk wrote:
> >
> > I guess it's mixing the channels into the one output. ALSA even supports
> > this with the sb16 which has only one DSP and does full-duplex.
>
> How do you get this working? Is it supported by the old system backward
> compatability? Or is it only Alsa-specific apps that support it? (The Alsa
> docs are very sketchy, and often out of date).

It's supported by the hardware, hence the full-duplex feature.

ALSA with OSS backward compatibility doesn't support the second DSP. Is
this what you were asking?

As a note, once ALSA is installed, you will appreciate the sound quality
over OSS/lite. Even with my old sb16-compat I noticed the difference. I
wonder when OSS/lite will be phased out of 2.3.x, which should make things
easier to install and allow the kernel to grow :)

-David (bk at bofh.ns.ca).