[plug] RH 6 upgrade kills X

Bob Ogden bob at contact.omen.com.au
Wed Jul 21 14:38:10 WST 1999

In <199907210635.OAA09830 at possum.os2.ami.com.au>, on 21/Jul/99
   at 02:35 PM,(+0800 GMT)
John Summerfield <summer at os2.ami.com.au> said:

> > > Aah! Wrong permissions on /tmp - should be  drwxrwxrwt
> >
> > Aah! I also had the same problem. Caused some bizar error messages. I Have
> > had RH6.0 installed for a while. I don't know how or when it happened.
> > Changing the mode on /tmp back to normal fixed it.
> >

> Some people round here must be careless: this is on my RHL 6 system, and
>  I've not had to change it:

> [summer at possum summer]$ ls -d /tmp
> drwxrwxrwt  11 root         2048 Jul 21 14:32 /tmp
> [summer at possum summer]$

If this is what happened to me then it is because the EverythingLinux RH6
distribution is broken. The upgrade was applied via the "upgrade by
booting from floppy" process and not from applying random RPMs.

I'd still like to know more about device nodes :). Pointers to ground up
info appreciated!

--
/-- Bob Ogden  bob at contact.omen.com.au --------------/

Does your system break in 163 days?