[plug] Linux floppy drive mount/umount for windows user

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Jul 22 04:04:04 WST 1999

> I have a friend who wants to use my computer. The biggest hurdle seems
> to be dealing with the floppy drive, which she insists on using instead
> of the hard drive (privacy, own copy). My friend will be using Word
> Perfect and need to save directly to floppy and does not want to deal
> with the commandline.
>
> Whats the best way of doing this? It seems neccasary for a daemon to be
> involved in the mounting/unmounting. What are other people doing?
>
> I have a little dock app that will mount/umount the floppy drive but
> things can get confused if the floppy is ejected manually before a
> umount.

I use autofs which mounts automatically on request, and umounts after (by
default) 30 seconds of no use.

Other than that, adding "nouser" to /etc/fstab works (but she will have to
learn to not eject before umount.

[summer at possum summer]$ grep user /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1		/mnt/mo			auto    noauto,user,nodev,nosu 00
[summer at possum summer]$

/dev/sda1 here is my MO drive: it takes 230 Mb and 640 Mb removable media.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield