[plug] re: editing

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 22 14:10:23 WST 1999

I don't have RH 6; I have RH 5.2.

But, due to having to transport a file of text between Linux and
Windows, to obtain information stored in both systems, I recently had
to copy text from Star Office 5.1 (which wouldn't save the file as a
text file), to an editor, so I could save it as a text file.

My Star Office 5.1, installed as a network and client installation on
my box, has gone wonky, and I can't find how to repair it.

Using the start menu in xwindows, I tried xedit, and emacs, and
couldn't do anything with them, trying to use menu's (in a hurry
without reading manuals). I think I also tried xeditview and xjed.
But, when I tried vim, and used the menu's in that, it worked. I had
no problems with it.

I have used vi in the past, and disliked it, as a weird line editor
that someone seemed to have created as a practical joke. However, vi
is the unix standard, and is found on every unix system, so appears to
be the only unix text editor worth learning, if a person intends to
work with unix, and vi is supposed to be very powerful.

I still don't like vi (I don't like line editors, and I don't like the
stuffing around required to use vi), but vim seems okay. Especially
for ease of use.

I don't know what the editors are like in RH 6, compared to RH 5.2,
but, unless they work better than mine, I would be inclined to use
vim.

Bret Busby

By the way, why do you use the "re:" prefix to your email subjects?
Given that that is the prefix used by forwarding, and replying, it
seems a bit weird, to use in the subject of a new mail message.

On 7/19/99, 11:20:47 PM, "Jon L. Miller" <jlmiller at wantree.com.au> wrote
regarding [plug] re: editing:

> bear with me I'm just starting to use RH6, how does one go about
editing files in RH6 what tool is available and commands?