[plug] SMP vs memory, was: *athon

bk bk at bofh.ns.ca
Fri Jul 23 20:04:49 WST 1999

> Interesting. What size time-slice is used by Linux?
Jul 23 13:08:41 superbox kernel: per-CPU timeslice cutoff: 25.04 usecs.

2.3.11 is quite nice when it comes to SMP. The scheduling has been changed
and does feel better than the one from the 2.2.x series. I noticed that
one process eating 100% was bouncing from CPU to CPU like every 0.25s.
methinks this could be the result of wmmon+SMP but at least it doesn't
lag X when the desktop moves around the virtual screen.

As a note to people willing to try out 2.3.11, the re-worked VFS now works
for nfs but [v]fat does not (why would you want it any way?). So far I've
managed to get the machine reboot out of the norm. That's expected by
developmental kernels, heh.

NOTE: excuse me for the weird-o times my messages have been given. This
machine, after a reboot or something, decided to change the time.

-David (bk at bofh.ns.ca).