[plug] re: editing

blockley at environ.wa.gov.au blockley at environ.wa.gov.au
Mon Jul 26 11:15:13 WST 1999

On 26 Jul, Christian wrote:
> blockley at environ.wa.gov.au wrote:
>>
>> On 25 Jul, Trevor Phillips wrote:
>>
>> One of my colleagues had a similar problem using Nedit linked to
>> lesstif on RedHat 5.2. Updating to a more recent version of Lesstif
>> fixed most of his problems.  There have been problems with Nedit and
>> Lesstif most of these have (I think) been ironed out with the latest
>> releases of Lesstif.  Most of the problems appear to relate to hot key
>> use.  I have used the static linked binary of Nedit from the Nedit site
>> under SUSE 5.2 as well as a dynamically linked version (not to lesstif
>> though)  I tend to worry a lot about losing my edits and hence use
>> Ctl-S frequently (its a bit of a hangover from my Windows days :-) ).
>
> Yeah, the lesstif-linked nedit that is the default "nedit" package in
> Debian was very, very unstable the last time I tried it.  (As was the
> DDD linked against lesstif...)  I've *never* had the static Motif build
> of nedit from the nedit FTP site *ever* crash on me.

A bit of an oops from me - I also meant to add that having made
frequent use of hotkeys from within the non-lesstiff linked versions I
too have never had nedit crash on me...

Writing nedit macros and linking them to hotkeys is a great way of
saving time.

Cheers

Adrian

Adrian Blockley (blockley at environ.wa.gov.au) |       Westralia Square,
Department of Environmental Protection       |       141 St George's Tce
Ph:  61 8 9222 7165			     |       Perth 6000
Fax: 61 8 9321 5184 			     |