[plug] Calling all DB guru's

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Jul 28 11:03:40 WST 1999

> Hi ya all,
>
> To all those DB admin types out there I have got some questions about
> setting up postgress on a Red Hat 6.0 box to use with Twig (on a Side note I
> saw the name Leon Brooks turn up in a few of the config files !!!!). I know
> I can use mysql for this but I wanted :
>
> 1. To play with a true RDBMS (whatever that means)

PostgresSQl isn't.

> 2. It came with my Red Hat so it must be good !!!
> 3. I can't afford (legally) a copy of Oracle.

If you're a developer you CAN afford oracle, or DB2, both real RDBMs.

> 4. The mysql ODBC drivers crash out our Notes server (this is for a
> different app) and my boss wants me to look at using postgress to see if it
> has the same problem.

PostgresSQL is a toy. I've said so here before.

> Ok so all that sarcasm put aside I try to run postgress as a service and I
> get the following error message

There used to be a postgres data rpm: RHS stopped distributing it as
upgrading it has a damaging effect on existing data.

There is, however, a script you can run to create the database.

Read the documentation carefully. There are some caveats you must be aware
of. In reading the documents, you are likely to find answers to all your
questions.

Some notions PostgresSQl doesn't comprehend:
Relational Integrity
Integrity
Logging
Recovery.
Speed.
Foreign keys.
Table sharing
Transactions

I use it here, but I'd certainly not bet my business on it. Best regard it
as a set of file (indexxed, it's true) access routines with an SQL
interface.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield