[plug] MP3

bk bk at bofh.ns.ca
Wed Jul 28 13:28:19 WST 1999

> However... There's a marvellous new piece of software - LAME - Lame
> Ain't an MP3 Encoder ;

Yeah, it's quite good. I was attempting to figure out how to encode
realtime and found this beautiful encoder. I gave up on the non-gpl mp3
encoders since they didn't support STDIN/STDOUT.

> It's distributed as GPL'ed patches to the freely available ISO sources,
> rather than reimplementing the patented MPEG Audio Layer III routines
> directly. To get people up and running, there's a very unofficial set
> of precompiled binaries at ;
>
> http://hive.me.gu.edu.au/not_lame/

I've made .deb's for lame. They're available at
http://www.apolloweb.net/xk/slink. If you want anything recompiled for
slink, yell at me. Also, xfree 3.3.4 for slink(glibc2.0) is in the
x334-slink directory.

> > It's wonderfully fast - 25% over realtime on each of my dual Celeron
> 300A's, faster still on some sounds (eg spoken words - over triple

So 75% (or 25%?) CPU utilization at 128kbit? I can get the CPU utilization
to an average of 40% (last time I checked [dual 451mhz celeron]) with
pentium optimizations.

-David (bk at bofh.ns.ca).