[plug] Another LILO issue, any ideas.

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 28 14:53:55 WST 1999

Christian wrote:

> Out of interest, can anyone recommend a good, free, all-round boot
> loader for booting a fairly large number of OS's? (Win9x, Linux, OpenBSD
> and Solaris - maybe more to come).  The FreeBSD people say theirs is
> really good and craps on LILO but I'm not intending to install
> FreeBSD... anyone got any comments?
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian.
>
> --
> Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged
> demo.
>                                                         - Andy Finkel

If you look in the mini HOWTO area (RH6 anyhow) you can find a recipe for
booting 4 O/Ss on a 1.2 Gigabyte Drive. I tried it and get PCDOS -7 Windows
98 O/S 2 ver 4 and Linux to fiue up without any problems. The core of the
system is O.S 2s Boot Manager, which has been arm twisted into accepting a
fourth  O/S. The only snag is that ther is nearly no room left on the drive
for applications, these have to be located on a second dr third drive. I
also tried it on a 4.3 Gig drive, it balked at starting Linux from the Boot
Manager , but accepted a Floppy Disk start up. This may have been due to
the fact that the machine was a 486 with bios which did not fully support
LBA.

Hope this may interest you,  regards,  Len Bird