[plug] Tape Drive Backups

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 30 20:40:19 WST 1999

Bradley Browne wrote:

> You know, I have no idea what you just said :-)
>
> I am not really ofay (sic) with the different types of drives so I am not sure
> what you mean by QIC etc.
>
> Is there an online resource (like Tom's Hardware) that could inform me, or could
> someone write a short description of the types do that I can appear at last a
> little bit intelligent when shopping around for them.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brad

These days, high capacity Hard Drives are relatively inexpensive, and moreover the
data transfer rates are about 1000 times as fast as any Tape Backup system. If you
install a HD rack in your PC you can do backups to the HD of any size at all without
the palaver that goes along with Tape Drives. However please take heed that you
would need at least two HD Racks and they MUST be identical in all respects.

I Hope this gives you an alternative line of thought,

Cheers          Len Bird.