[plug] Fox your amusement

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Jun 1 08:20:51 WST 1999

Bret Busby wrote:

> Fox your amusement, too!
>
> Good one.
>
> Lucky I don't use M$ email, now.
>
> It'll probably fool many...
>
> Is it copyright, or, can we distribute it? I realise that it generally
> has a high price tag, from the original producers of it (or of the
> original image), and I wouldn't want anyone to sue for copyright
> infringement of it.

MicroSoft could complain about the look and feel of it, but have not
done so for xscreensaver, and if they did we could both argue that (1)
it is a lampoon and not for commercial gain and (2) framing it in a
browser considerably alters the look and feel of it (3) it is instantly
displayable on much equipment which would not normally display such an
image.

> It is probably the most expensive, and most well known, screen image.

Yes. There was a fake news article recently about MS defending the look
and feel of it, and selling content on it.

>> http://users.smileys.net/~leonb/just-for-fun/BSOD.html

Grab a fresh copy, which has a copyright notice in it, and distribute
away. (-:

--
If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains
unprovable