[plug] schoolboys

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Jun 1 08:36:06 WST 1999

> At a school I support we have a problem.  One or two students are behaving
> in as "inappropriate" manner by sending forged email and I want to find
> out who they are.
>
> They use Netscape and Hotmail to send messages so outgoing mail can not be
> monitored directly.  I suspect that Netscape encripts mail which will make
> the job almost impossible short of having a trojan at the desktop.  Is
> this correct?  If, not any ideas on how to capture text on its way out?

I think mail from hotmail carries the source IP/hostname in the headers, I
assume it's possible for someone from the school to get information from
hotmail about who from the school is using the service and maybe some more
information too.

Just how someone from the school would establish their credentials to
hotmail I don't know, but I assume they'd be willing to talk to whoever's
identified by:
nslookup -type=rp someschool.edu.au
or an appropriate whois command: I don't recall offhand who does
Asia/Pacific, but the information is not well-maintained.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield