[plug] Star Office and 5.1 and the registration

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Thu Jun 3 00:16:37 WST 1999

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Christian wrote:
> I'm starting to wonder if I seriously should write my thesis in Linux -
> WordPerfect is ok but it's graphic handling is very bad and it can't
> generate a decent Table of Contents to save it's life.  Star Office has
> a marginally better TOC functionality but runs so slowly I'm wondering
> if it's seriously worthwhile trying to use it.

Excuse me??? You're seriously considering not writing your thesis in
LaTeX? They _let_ you write in something else? How quaint.
Just use LaTeX. It really is the only choice. Sure, for a brief letter
now and then or something, it ain't worth learning, but if you're writing
a whole thesis, then you want to have something that looks professional at
the end, and you don't want to have to fight with a word processor to do
it. Just use LaTeX, you won't regret learning it. What is your thesis on,
anyway? Thesis-obsessed minds wish to know. :)

-Greg Mildenhall