[plug] Star Office and 5.1 and the registration

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Jun 3 09:27:32 WST 1999

> Christian;
> What about using tex? (LaTeX and its derivatives)
>
> It is a typesetting application, used by many academics for publishing
> their papers.
>
> Tex does not include a spell checker, but linux does.

<g> Not a spell checker - there are no witches here.

I've just installed the British version of the spelling checker and
enabled it under exmh. It's rather garish: I have odd words here
highlighted with a red background because they're not in its dictionary.
It's picky about capitalisation too: "British" must have its capital.

> It comes with Linux (RH, anyway, and, I believe, Slackware)
>
> Try man tex.
>
> Anne's just told me to suggest it. Her postgrad dip co-ordinator
> teaches a post grad unit in research/project preparation. Latex is
> used as the documentation formatting application for the submitted
> written work for the unit.
>
> There is a heap of information on the web, and it goes to each of the
> platforms.
>
> The only thing is that if you search for latex, rather than tex, on
> the web, you end up at all kinds of deviant sites, in addition to
> legitimate, rubber oriented sites.
>
> It does tables if contents, bibliographies, and everything for an
> academic written submission.
>
> In comes with "templates" to assist in specific layout formats.

There is also a Linux wordprocessor that's latex-based.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield